Wednesday, December 10, 2008

....and a Pheasant in a pantyhose?

Ok..what the heck am I talking about?  Well grab a cup of cocoa and let me tickle your funny bone...this is a true story and for those of you who know me, you know that I could write a book about all the silly, crazy things that happen to us.  This is a story about a Pheasant that would not die.....ok so my husband gets an invite to go hunting in the Texas panhandle..with 2 of his best buds..last week.  They go goose hunting the first day and are going to hunt pheasant the second and third days... well he had never goose hunted before and that in itself is a little different...they woke up at 4 am..to get out to the peanut field where they were going to hunt and they ( 17 full grown men...LOL ) begin to DIG holes for themselves to lay down in!  Can you picture that?  Grave diggers?  LOL so they dig their (graves) holes and then put out about 2000 goose decoys...  and then they get in their graves ( holes ) laying down and cover themselves up with plywood and cover the plywood with dirt and straw and then they have to cover the top 1/3 of themselves with some lightweight thing and lay there......waiting until the guide yells at them to let them know that the geese are landing... and then... all 17 men throw the cover off and come up shooting!  Can you imagine?  The picture I have in my mind is hilarious.  And these are grown men...most of them sane...LOL...ok so that was goose hunting. Then, they go pheasant hunting. There you have what you call "walkers" and 'blockers"... some men walk the fields and the others block at the other end and then they turn and do it all over again.....like the first day he walked about 4 miles up and down a field and the second...maybe 6 miles!  Ok, so they have a successful hunt and he calls and tells me how beautiful the pheasants are... So, I suggest he kill one to have mounted.. All the others ones were already cleaned by the guides.  So he and several others on the last hunt kill some so bring home to mount.  Well the way they preserve them is to put them in a pantyhose...that way the feathers stay nice for the taxidermist.  Ok so, his is in the pantyhose in the cooler and they travel halfway home.  When they drop off one of the guys.. they open the ice chest and lo and behold, Toms bird is still alive....it has pushed its beak through the panty hose!  So not wanting him to suffer...they knock him in the head...put him back in the cooler and come home....So now the bird has been in the pantyhose in the cooler in ice for a day and a half....he gets home...and...guess what?  HE IS STILL ALIVE.....so now what is he to do?  I come home and we take him out of the panty hose, thinking he has to be near death, and Tom smooth's his feathers out...many are rumpled and some are broken, so now he will not make a pretty mount.. and there he is stroking the bird he had planned on mounting in my living room of all places!  I am trying to fix supper, so I am running some water and Tom decides that the bird has to be thirsty after this ordeal, so I cup my hands and that dad gum bird, starts to drink out of my cupped hands!  So, now what are we gonna do, I had said all along..you have to kill it,  But after that, letting it drink out of my hands, I don't have the heart to do that either.  So we put him in a cage in our back yard and the bird just starts preening himself!  He is alive and well and has moved up to a 10 x 10 dog run in our back yard!  Can you believe this?   SO, help us name our Pheasant!  He is beautiful.........and we want to find a sanctuary for him!  What a turn of events this bird has been through!   I hope you enjoyed this little look at a day in our lives!  I have a little goodie for you!  Here is a freebie from the Pretty Scrappy Collab Changing Seasons....The store is up and running again so grab this freebie and go check out my things HERE at Pretty Scrappy or at Digital Arts-Cafe HERE.  To snag this freebie just click on the preview.  His, Teri

QP Preview

5 comments:

  1. I am so happy for the pheasant! They really are so beautiful. They sure must be made sturdy for it to have survived all it went through and certainly deserves to live in a sanctuary for the rest of its life.

    Quite a story for my morning coffee!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness! that is a funny story! I can't imagine the looks on your faces when the pheasant's still alive!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Leaving a million thanks for the QP's; loved your hysterical pheasant story and description of the hunting in general! Thought I had the only unpredictable life! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you so much for this Freebie. I want to let you know that I posted a link to your blog in Creative Busy Hands Digital Freebies Search List, under the Quick Page(s) post. Thanks again.

    ReplyDelete
  5. TOOOOO Funny!!! GREAT story! So glad I found it, so glad I'm not a hunter! Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete