Monday, October 13, 2008

There is "Hope In Sight"

Since October is Breast Cancer Awareness Month, I will use this a an opportunity not only to honor those who have courageously fought the battle with cancer and lost, but also those who, like me, are survivors!  I was 37 when I was diagnosed with Breast Cancer.  I had gone for my regular mammogram ( I started at 30 since my Mom also had Breast Cancer ).  I was actually the first one at a new hospital where they were using a new machine, and so when they did my mammogram, they had people in there who read it immediately, making sure the machine was working properly.  So, here they came again, wanting to take another type of X-ray.   Hrhm, I didn't like the sound of that.  So, once again, I wait.  It was sure taking them a long time to tell me to get dressed!  Well finally, get dressed and meet the Dr. in his office.  And here he came, Uh Oh.  He didn't look happy.  Then I heard it again, you have Breast Cancer.  I say again because I had heard these words before, but they were spoken to my Mom.  Now, it was my turn.  I didn't like them when i heard them the first time, and I didn't like them this time either.  He had already scheduled an appt. with a surgeon and I was to go straight there.  I was numb.   My husband was out of town.  The world stopped!  I remember getting in my car and driving to a park overlooking the bay and thinking as I watched the cars coming and going, people walking their dogs.  Life was going on!  I called my husband and waited to go to the surgeon in who's hands I was about to place my life.  Well it was a whirlwind few days, and in 3 days time, I had a biopsy, and a mastectomy!  Now I wont go in to all the details, but to make this short, I had 6 months of Chemo, and was sick as a dog!  My Dr. said that 2% of the people got as sick as I did.  Well now, its 15 years later and I am still here!  I am thankful for the Dr's and the technology that detected my small aggressive cancer with a simple mammogram.   So, Please,Please,Please....have your yearly mammogram's and check your self monthly.  It may very well save your life.  I want to share with you a special kit by Designs by Angel from Pretty Scrappy called " Hope In Sight".  I wanted to make some pages to honor my mother, who was not as fortunate as myself, in her battle against cancer, but found something far greater in the midst of her battle.  She died at the young age of 47, but through her cancer, she became a Christian.  I can remember visiting her one time when she was in an excruciating amount of pain and she looked at me and my husband and said these words I will never forget!  "Kids, I want you to know, that if this is what it took for me to know the Lord, I would go through it all again!"   What a testimony!  I share this, and my layouts to honor my Mom, my Hero.

TM_PS_HIS_QP2_Hope 

TM_PS_HIS_QP1 

And now for your Freebies since you were so patient with me in letting me share my story with you.  Here are the two QP's I made along with the preview of Angels Kit from Pretty Scrappy.   To get the previews, just click on the image.  For the kit, click on the preview to go to the Pretty Scrappy Store.  Share my story with others and save a loved ones life or the life of a friend!

PreviewPreview  

                             DBA_HopeInSight_Preview

6 comments:

  1. Teri...

    Thank you so much for sharing my kit in such a touching manor. I love what you did and how you honored your mother as well as telling your story. My grandmother has gone through it 2x, my aunt lost her battle last yr, and my mother is fighting right now. The odds are against me but at least I am very aware and try to make everyone else aware as well. Again.. Thank you so much!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Teri, Thank you for the QPs and for sharing your story. May God Bless you. (HUGS) from Oklahoma

    ReplyDelete
  3. Teri, Your story brought tears to my eyes. I went thru this with a grandmother. She is still with us thank god. I am so glad you were able to overcome. I also went thru Chemo with my dad before he lost his fight to cancer almost 4 years ago. I just wish more women were so aware and didnt wait until their Doctor told them to do one!
    HUGS

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Teri! What a story you have to tell and a MOST inspirational one at that! I am going to the clinic in the morning as I have to see the "new" doctor to get my thyroid medication refilled. I will make sure to ask him for an order for a mammogram.

    I will admit that I've NOT been good about getting them as often as I should be. Even though we have no history, I know I need to. I do self-exams quite often.

    Well girl, I've chattered away with you on Yahoo now and guess I'd better slow these fingers down and finish up my business so I can retire for the night!!!

    It's been FUN getting to know you sweetie. Your layouts are VERY, VERY special indeed and I know that your mom is a WONDERFUL woman as are you!

    BIG HUGS,
    Linda :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your story told so eloquently is one many have had to endure. I too am a cancer survivor (ovarian). It was wonderful to hear of your Mom's testimony! She is safe with Jesus.

    Perhaps now would be a good time for the Faith, Hope and Love word arts.

    I am just doing the I Love Dogs one. Finding just the right photos of our beloved Sheltie who we had to put down two weeks ago. I am confused a bit about adding photos - is there supposed to be a grey outline around the photos where the shadow/bevel is? I was wondering if there was a way to have the photo blend into the shadow/bevel.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you so much for sharing your story, I am so sorry for the loss of your Mom, but this is such a beautiful tribute (I am crying here). My SIL has been battling breast cancer for several years and it has come back this year & has spread all over here body/brain. It's a very sad & scary disease :( May God Bless you always for being an inspiration!

    ReplyDelete